Friday, January 8, 2010
Friday: 15 Minute Biscuits (Plus Soup)
Cream of heirloom tomato soup with homemade biscuits.
We made this comforting cream of tomato soup with special out-of-town guest chef Tom. The soup was pretty straightforward, although it benefited from the delicious heirloom tomatoes provided by our CSAs.
We follow Mark Bittman's standard recipe for biscuits; they're surprisingly quick and easy:
2 c all-purpose or cake flour
1 scant tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 - 5 tbsp cold butter
7/8 c milk
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and then use your hands to rub them into the dry mixture until the butter is thoroughly blended in. (It might look a little like bread crumbs.)
3. Stir in the milk just until the mixture forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it 10 times - no more!
4. Press the dough into a 3/4 inch thick slab and cut into circles using the rim of a drinking glass. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake 7 - 9 minutes or until the biscuits are a beautiful golden brown.
Note: if you have yogurt, substitute it for the milk and reduce to 3 tsp baking powder.